You can use any oil you like for this – it’s best to use one you like to cook with (or want to smell like!).
- Sterilise and thoroughly dry a large jar or bottle. Fill it with herbs and chillies, garlic or edible flowers, depending on what you want to use the oil for.
- Slowly pour oil over the herbs. Use a skewer or similar to move the herbs around to ensure no air pockets remain. Add enough oil to completely cover all the herbs, filling your vessel right up to the brim.
- Tightly seal the jar or bottle, give it a few shakes, and put it in a cool, dark place. Shake every few days and let it sit for at least 4–6 weeks so the herbs can infuse. After that time, strain the oil into storage bottles through a cloth-lined sieve.
- Give the herbs a squish before discarding.
- Seal and label your bottles. Store in a cool, dark place for up to two years.
In The Moment Magazine podcast
The Art of the Natural Home by Rebecca Sullivan is published by Kyle Books. Photography by Nassima Rothacker.