Create an indulgent Christmas breakfast with these delicious vegan black forest crêpes created by Bo Porterfield of Bo’s Kitchen.
These make a healthy alternative to heavy traditional Christmas desserts too.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1.5 cup dairy free mylk
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 200g fresh cherries
- 1/4 bar dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 jar cherries in kirsch syrup
- 1/2 cup chickpea water (from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- To make the aquafaba cream, whisk chickpea water in a spotlessly clean, large mixing bowl with an electric whisk. After about 6 minutes it should start to develop soft peaks. Slowly pour in the sugar and cream of tartar and keep whisking, until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- To make the crêpes, add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well until smooth. Add a little more water if it’s too thick, it needs to be very pourable, too thick and you’ll have pancakes. Leave to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat a large frying pan up and brush with a little oil. Use a ladle to pour into the centre of the pan and use the back of the ladle to move in circular motions quickly to spread the circle. Cook for a minute or so on each side. Take pan off the heat in between crêpes to enable easy spreading with the ladle. Keep warm in the oven on a low temperature.
- To serve, re whisk the aquafaba cream briefly then spread on the inside of each crêpe. Fold up, then drizzle with a few tbsp of kirsch syrup and garnish with fresh cherries and chocolate.
Find more related vegan recipes:
- Healthy vegan hot chocolate recipe
- Vegan gingerbread crumble recipe
- Vegan cranberry and pistachio energy bars recipe