Take the quiz to find your word
Choosing a word really is as simple as considering how you want to feel, but if you need a hand I’ve devised some journal prompts to help you start your search.
• What’s definitely happening for you this year?
• What dreams are you ready to nurture?
• What qualities do you wish to develop in yourself?
• What does your heart need?
• Describe your ideal day. What are you doing? How are you feeling?
Read through your answers and circle any words that catch your eye. Jot down any extra words you’ve been considering, then explore the following:
• How does each word make you feel? Excited? Motivated? A bit nervous? Expanded?
• Which word creates a physical reaction in your body when you say it? It might be a tingle up your spine. Butterflies in your tummy. A long, satisfying exhale.
• Grab a dictionary or thesaurus to find alternative meanings and variations that speak to you.
• Which word thrills you? Conversely, which word feels like a blessed relief?
• Which word do you want to be your word? Not the word you think you should choose, but the one you really want.
Read more related articles:
Ideally you want to pick a word you’re a little bit in love with. If you’re having trouble narrowing it down – especially if the words you’ve gathered are similar in meaning – try this trick. Take two of your words and decide which is heads and which is tails. Then simply flip a coin, call heads or tails, and whichever way the coin lands is your word. Pay attention to your immediate reaction – do you feel pleased or disappointed? Your body will tell you the truth here!
Disappointment is a sure sign it’s not the right word. Work through your words in this way – changing the pairings as you go – until you land on the word that feels right. It doesn’t need to be perfect (because nothing in this world is) but it should be the one that gives you the most tingles. Try it on for size, remembering you can always choose another word when you need it.
For more help and inspiration join my free five-day course, Find Your Word, over at www.susannahconway.com/word
Susannah says: “I’m a writer, photographer and teacher. I’m also an aunt, a sister and a Londoner, three of the
best labels to have. My first book, This I Know: Notes on Unraveling the Heart (Skirt! Books), hit bookshelves in 2012, and I’ve also co-authored Instant Love: How to Make Magic & Memories with Polaroids (Chronicle Books). My latest book for Chronicle, Londontown: A Photographic Tour of the City’s Delights, was published in May 2016.”