April is Stress Awareness Month – the idea is to help us identify the causes, and get to know the cures, for the stressors in our modern society. We often overlook the role of nutrition, but eating the right nutrients to replenish our energy and vitamin stores may also help to reduce the impact of stress.
From 1– 7 April, BBC Good Food and In The Moment are teaming up to share a whole week of wellness food tips, expert advice and recipes (including this delicious berry pancake!) on their websites and social media, covering everything from eating for stress management to flexitarianism.
Each day has a different theme, and the articles and recipes will be available throughout the month and beyond.
Day one – stress
Stress has been described as a modern-day epidemic and it's something that most of us will suffer from at some point in our lives. Don't worry though, there are things you can to reduce stress through your diet.
- Stress relief: How diet and lifestyle can help (BBC Good Food)
- Does stress affect weight? (BBC Good Food)
- Find out what to eat to reduce anxiety and stress
- How to embrace slow living and slow food
- Listen to what to eat to improve your mood on the In The Moment Magazine podcast
Day two – mindful eating
Taking the time to eat more mindfully can help us to appreciate our meals more and slow down. It can also help us to value our mealtimes and give us time to recharge.
- How to eat mindfully (BBC Good Food)
- How to practise mindful eating and enjoy your meals more
- How mindful baking can improve your mood and reduce stress
Day three – eating to boost your brain power
We often hear about diets to improve our skin or to give us more energy, but getting your nutrition right can also help to keep your brain healthy.
- 10 foods to boost your brainpower (BBC Good Food)
- 5 ways the food you eat affects your brain (BBC Good Food)
- What foods should we eat to improve our brain health?
Day four – eating for your skin
Keep your skin feeling its best by eating a diet packed with nutrients. You'll be glowing!
Day five – flexitarianism
There's a growing trend for eating less meat in our diets and there's evidence to show that it's better for the environment too.
- What is a flexitarian diet? (BBC Good Food)
- How to reduce your meat intake and embrace a plant-based diet
Day six – nutrition for fitness
Calling all fitness fans! Find out how to eat for your work out, get inspired by yoga diets and more.
- How yoga can inspire your cooking with Jody Vassallo
- What to eat for a workout (BBC Good Food)
- What should I eat if I exercise in the morning (BBC Good Food)
- What should I eat if I exercise in the evening (BBC Good Food)
Day seven – fermented food
Fermented food can help you to maintain a healthy gut. Discover how you can make your own fermented food at home and how it can improve your health.